Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today is the day!

Two weeks down, two pounds down. Not impressive, but at least I'm heading in the right direction. I told myself I wasn't going to load up my shelves with diet books this year (Years ago I optimistically bought a book called something like "The Last Makeover" that assured me I wouldn't ever buy any more diet books--yeah right.) because I need to DO instead of READ. I know there's no reason I can't do both except for the fact that I DON'T do both--I read instead of do, so if I'm only going to do one, this year I'm choosing to do. In the interest of full disclosure, though, I must confess that I just got off Amazon where I ordered two books--The Beck Diet for Life and The New Rules of Lifting for Women--but these are books that I've tested out by checking them out numerous times from the library and I know they'll actually be helpful if I use them. I'm planning to not buy any more at least for six months.

But, all that said, I was in B&N the other day, not buying any diet books, but I saw that an author I enjoyed has a new book out. I was tempted--but I resisted. I didn't buy it--I sat down in the children's area and skimmed it instead. :D I gleaned something important from it, and that was "TODAY is the only day that matters." Looking at what I've done in the past and what I plan to do in the future can get my eyes off of what I need to do today. If I've got all sorts of great plans on paper or in my head and yet TODAY I eat crap and sit on my butt, I am not moving forward in the right direction. I have to choose health today. If I'm not doing anything today to live a healthy life, I'm not living a healthy life. Today doesn't have to be perfect, but it does have to contain something consistent with what I say my priorities are. Otherwise I'm living in a fantasy land.

So now it's 4:00. I'm hitting the danger zone of the day. I already ate a bowl of popcorn, and I'm still hungry. I'll give it a few minutes to settle, but there are chocolate chip cookies calling my name. I know I don't have that many calories to play with, though, That's another thing. I wanted to calculate my daily requirement of calories & crunch all the numbers because I think it would help me to check out whether the science actually is accurate--the whole eat 500 calories less per day, exercise 500 calories off to lose 2 lbs. I believe more in magic, so maybe I should test out the anti-magic and get real. But I'm out of time for the moment and this long weekend is flying by way too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment