Monday, May 31, 2010

Three months gone already?

Unbelievable. Once track started I didn't make time to come here and post, obviously. Now there are 4 days left till school gets out and I can begin to think about something besides lesson plans and schedules and teaching. At some point I'm going to have to figure out how to balance work and being healthy. Right now it's not working so well. I can only seem to focus on one thing at a time, and it hasn't been healthy habits for a couple of months now. Exercise was the first to go since my plan to run some during track practice didn't ever happen. Then my eating went kerflooey, too.

Looking in the mirror, I see someone who definitely views healthy living as an "on or off", "all or nothing" event, not a set of everyday behaviors that I will maintain for the rest of my life. This summer I'm torn between going all-out to get as intense and fit as possible and then worry about lifestyle maintenance in the fall and using this summer to find what will work for the long haul. The long-haul view seems smarter, but at the same time I'm never going to have the freedom to go all-out like this when summer vacation is over.

For now, exercise is what I'm working on. Gotta get back at it. Today I walked for an hour at Lippold Park--about 5 miles, I think, one of which I jogged. There's a cool trail there. My hips are feeling it now, though. Some of that might be because of the gardening I did when I got home, but I really do need to make sure I stretch well.

I'm hungry now and am going to go in search of a snack. Probably chips. I know I shouldn't but I'm going to anyway. It's not all-or-nothing, though. I can have some without having too many. Right? Right!

No comments:

Post a Comment